Sunday, May 3, 2015

All Women Are Flawless


If you haven't watched Beyonce's "Flawless" music video featuring Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's speech titled "We should all be feminists": I highly recommend it. Not only is Beyonce one, if not my favorite artist, her album Beyonce includes multiple songs with deeper meanings about sexism. In the music video Beyonce seems very angry, yet holds a strong personality that comes alive through the lyrics. The song was written to defend women's rights in a sense and also tell all the women out there that they can do whatever they want. She wants women everywhere to know they should breakaway from stereotypes, talk about feminism, and gain the confidence to speak their mind in society. Also included is many samples of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's TED talk that defines feminism and the way women continue to be looked down upon for wanting to breakout of ordinary roles.

Sexism is an extremely prominent issue that affects women on all over the world. From the workplace, to getting higher education, to things as simple as the way women dress. It is absolutely absurd to think about how little times have changed. That is exactly why this video connects to my values and congruence. Even though it speaks to my personality and the type of artist that I listen to, it also reflects on my value of equality for all. Being a Latina and a women I've seen the difficulties many individuals face from racism to sexism. If it wasn't from personal experience, I saw family members, friends, or even public figures experiences backlash for speaking their mind. The video specifically shows the way society wants to box all women up and ignore their potential. But I love it so much and wanted to share it because it can easily connect to anyone that feels trapped by the standards society has and just wants to be able to be themselves.

Attending an all girl school I would say completely influenced why my value of equality and respect are ranked so high on my list of values. Beyonce sees these values to be important as well and used her fame to bring awareness to the topic. I feel so connected to the clip because of the way I see myself living my life. Because of my and my family's experience and struggles my goal is always to do the unexpected and breakaway from the norm. From high school, to now in college I was a part of student government and worked to be the voice for those who might have not felt as confident to do so. I've had a job from a young age, and have just learned to become involved in any extracurricular activity that I was passionate about. Some girls are as fortunate to be able to say that they can do what they love. And for women that don't feel capable of standing up for themselves: "Flawless" lays down a platform for the start of something better for women.

"Flawless" is sort of my anthem whenever I feel sad or unconfident in my abilities. It is so power and I'm glad more artists like Beyonce are using their talents to globalize social justice issues through the media. As I mentioned before I try to do what makes me happy and pursue my passions in whatever endeavor I choose to take on. I recommend for everyone to simply ask themselves if whatever they are doing truly makes them happy. At the end of the day if one feels happy and blessed to be where they are; it just makes the world a better place for all to come together. I hope that I can continue to do what makes me happy while never forgetting the values of equality and respect for all no matter where they come from.

3 comments:

  1. Amy, thanks for sharing the video. The layer of Beyonce and Chimamanda's speech (ironically, the longer version is Alex's blog post for this week), really does provide an interesting contrast. It sounds like the fact that you went to an all girl's school really impacted your ability to see and work with women for commonality and empowerment of each other. And the fact that you have worked from a young age and choosing to become engaged is great. The contrast, then, is the reality and relatability of Beyonce and her music to what we live in life, and Chimamanda's words, of the higher level of thinking in what is fair and what is right and changing the big picture. It looks like you've got an incredible head on your shoulders with deep routes, and I have no doubt it will only continue to serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also went to an all girls school, and my middle and high school education definitely focused a lot on female empowerment and allowing each girl to reach her potential. Your discussion of sexism is really thought-provoking; sometimes, you think we've come along way for women's rights, but women have to deal with so much putdown and discouragement still. I love what Beyonce stands for: independence, self-fulfillment, and mutual respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yassss Queen Bey! I totally with this as a WOC empowerment anthem. I love that Yonce acknowledges that she is a wife and mother, but doesn't let that define or limit her in any way. Of course Adichie's spoken word part is incredibly powerful. I love how Beyonce calls herself both a diamond and a rock. She not only has the beauty of a diamond, but the strength and practicality of a rock. However, I really appreciate how she acknowledges both the men and the women in her life that have made her the way she is: flawless.

    ReplyDelete